The Foundation for the Preservation of 108 South Jackson (FP108SJ) was established in 1997 to maintain and preserve the historic Janesville Woman’s Club Building. Built in 1928, we are listed on the Wisconsin State Register of Historic Places and the National Register of Historic Places.
We are a 501(c)3 serving the greater Janesville community via scholarships, music, art, and public programming. The Foundation board is made up of members from the American Association of University Women (AAUW), Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) – Janesville Chapter, Janesville Art League, Janesville Woman’s Club Association, and MacDowell Music Club.
The historic building houses a significant and beautiful art collection, which was the reason the building was constructed in 1928. The land was donated by Mrs. H.W.W. Macloon, and George and Martha Parker donated the initial $10,000 to begin the building. Women from the Janesville Art League and Janesville Woman’s Clubs, as well as other clubs, raised the rest of the funds. Today, the building is listed on both the Wisconsin State Register of Historic Places and the National Register of Historic Places.

 

But can men visit? Of course! Several of our seven clubs that use the building for meetings, programs, recitals, art shows and special events have male members as well as family memberships.

 

In its early days, the clubs did what they do now — give back to the community. Giving back included free dental clinics, social programs for the community and fundraising. While we don’t offer free dental clinics anymore, we donate over $10,000 a year in scholarships, school supplies, winter clothing, donations and other items needed in our community. In fact, over the last 5 years all of the clubs donated a combined total of $55,000 to the Janesville community.

 

The American Association of University Women (AAUW), Bower City Garden Club, Daughters of the American Revolution, Janesville Art League, Janesville Woman’s Club Association, MacDowell Music Club, and the Zonta Club all use the building as they have since the 1920’s. Membership is available in all of the clubs and as a member of one of those clubs, you are also a member of FP108SJ. Many friendships have formed over the years, and we hope to continue that legacy of friendship and community service for the next 100 years.